Wednesday, April 09, 2008

PIRI-PIRI

Every time I find myself in a new place the first thing I prepare is my piri-piri sauce.

“Too much piri-piri is bad for your health,” the doctor says.

“But they are after me. They want to shoot me in the back.”

“Too much of it makes you paranoid, is bad for your blood pressure and affects your sexual performance. Doesn’t that frighten you?”

“I told you, I’m a sailor on the run.”

“Anyway, tell me how you do it.”

“With little dried red chili peppers, oil and time. The longer it stays and the uglier it looks the better. I may add some salt to speed up the process. Some people use whisky or gin, some people a lot of different spices, garlic or ginger, and also vinegar or lemon juice. Not me. I think the place of alcohol, spices and fancy oils is somewhere else. Whenever I can I use olive oil. If I’m in a hurry I just fry some chilies and use the oil.”

“Sounds simple.”

“Yes. And while you fry it, people around you cry.”

C

No comments: